Behavioral and Mental Health
As a mental health or behavioral health registered nurse (RN), you must have a strong desire to help individuals with mental and behavioral issues.
Job Responsibilities For Mental Health And Behavioral Health Jobs
- Perform psychiatric nursing assessments and medication management for patients
- Provide medication education for patients
- Provide ongoing assessment of patients
- Responsible for attending all mandatory in-services, continuing education, and annual health requirements.
What Are Mental Health And Behavior Health Disorders?
Mental health encompasses a number of factors such as your biology, your psychological condition, and your habits. Behavioral health examines how your individual habits impact your overall physical and mental wellbeing. The following disorders are examples of mental health and behavioral health disorders that are not directly related to or caused by behaviors.
Mental Health Disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
Behavioral Health Disorders
- Sex addiction
- Substance abuse
- Eating disorders
- Gambling addiction
The Mental and Behavioral Health Industry
The current trend toward integrating behavioral and physical health is, in many ways, a response to a mental health system that has struggled to meet the demand for such care.
According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, an estimated 44 million adults in the U.S. are living with a mental illness.
Yet almost 60% of those with a mental health disorder didn’t receive treatment in the previous year.
This is despite spending on mental health hitting $221 billion in 2014, making it the single most expensive medical condition in the U.S.
Mental and behavioral health treatment can include:
- Behavioral health treatment, such as psychotherapy and counseling.
- Mental and behavioral health inpatient services.
- Treatment for substance use disorder (commonly known as substance abuse).
- Financial support, such as deductibles, copayments, coinsurance, and out-of-pocket limits.
- Other support, including care management.